Everything You Need To Know About A Drunk Driving Accident
Car accidents have been the major cause for concern of Georgian government. A major proportion of car accidents in Georgia are due to drunk driving. This happens despite the worldwide extensive media campaign to spread awareness about the consequences of drunk driving. About 368 persons were killed and 10,500 were injured in drunk driving accidents in 2016 as per the report of Georgia Governor’s Office of Highway Safety. It seems that stubborn drivers don’t pay heed to laws and awareness campaign and innocents also suffer due to their recklessness. If you have also suffered because of drunk driving accident you can claim compensation. But for a strong claim suite, you will need drunk driving accident lawyer in Covington.
Compensation you are entitled to
If you have ever been stuck in a drunk driving accident, you can file suit for compensation for the following damage:
- Medical expenses: The most basic aspect of a claim for compensation in case of accidents is compensation for medical expenses. If an an accident involves injuries the injured needs medical treatment. In your suite for the compensation, you can claim for medical expenses that include your surgery costs, hospital costs, doctor visits and very more. You can also claim for future medical expenses if they are related to the concerned accident and are certain.
- Rehabilitation expenses: Serious injuries occurring due to the drunk driving accident may require rehabilitation programmes for the victim. In such cases, the victim can claim for such rehabilitation programme costs.
- Loss of quality life: Apart from material damage, you can also claim for immaterial damage such as loss of quality life. Loss of quality life includes mental stress due to the accident and its consequences, staying apart from family members because of treatment in hospital, pain and suffering, etc.
- Loss of income: Immaterial damage also includes loss of income. If you have lost your earnings for the period of treatment or have permanently lost the job due to impairment, you can claim for compensation.
- Damage to vehicle: You can also claim compensation for the damages that have been caused to your vehicle in a drunk driving accident.
Why you need an attorney
Claiming compensation for damage due to the drunk driving accident is not easy and here are the reasons why you might need an attorney:
- Provides guidance: In most of the cases, the victim remains clueless about what to do to file a meritorious claim for compensation after the accident. A skilled attorney looks at all the aspects of the accident and files the claim on behalf of the victim as he deems fit as per the law.
- To fortify the claim: A claim for compensation for accident becomes very technical in most of the cases. The victim shall prove that the alleged driver owed a duty of care towards him or her. The victim also needs to prove that there was contributory negligence on part of him or her that led to the accident. A skilled attorney analyses the facts of the case and sets the merit of the claim in light of these factors.
- Claim against insurance company: Apart from the judicial claim, the attorney negotiates with the insurance company to get compensation for the victim.
It is important to contact a skilled and professional drunk driving accident lawyer in Covington to successfully claim the compensation.