Every year, thousands of truckers and trucking businesses gear up to file their 2290 form and pay their annual Heavy Highway Vehicle Use (HVUT) Tax. Thanks to the rising number of digital platforms in the market, it is easier than ever to file your returns.
The process of filing your form 2290 online is called e-filing.; and it is facilitated through a number of IRS approved e-filing platforms that offer a myriad of benefits to the user. Let’s take a look at some of the top reasons why taxpayers choose e-filing over the traditional method of paper filing.
- e-Filing is the fastest way to file your HVUT 2290 return. It eliminates the need for standing in long queues at the IRS office; and makes the overall filing process easy as the service provider only asks for necessary information. It only takes a few minutes to e-file your HVUT return.
- e-Filing is safer than manually filing your return. The details you enter on the e-filing platform are protected using advanced security features. e-Filing platforms do not store any sensitive information such as bank account details.
- Manual filers need to wait at least 3 weeks for the IRS to process their return and receive their IRS stamped form 2290 schedule 1 copy. Whereas, when you e-file your HVUT return, you will receive your IRS stamped Schedule 1 within minutes after filing your return. If at any time you lose your Stamped Schedule 1 copy, you can redownload it from the dashboard of your service provider.
- e-Filing is more convenient than manual filing as you can do it practically from anywhere. You can be on the road or at home, all you need is a laptop and an internet connection to file your HVUT return.
- HVUT tax payment is made convenient when you do it online as there are more than one payment options to choose from. You can pay your HVUT tax easily using EFTPS, EFW, credit/debit card, or through ACH payments.
- Some e-filing service providers offer a host of value-added services like free VIN correction, tax calculation tool, First Used Month finder, and more, which makes your tax filing process all the more easier.
- If your form 2290 gets rejected by the IRS, you can retransmit the corrected HVUT return at no extra cost.
- Once you e-file your IRS form 2290 online, your service provider will send you timely alerts about the status of your return through email, fax and SMS.
- Manual filers need to rely on IRS Form 2290 instructions or IRS representatives to clarify doubts. But oftentimes, the resolution might not be satisfactory. When you e-file your 2290 online, you will receive round the clock customer support in English and Spanish.
- When you register with a service provider and file your form once, the next time you return to file your tax, your details will already be made available to you on the e-filing platform, further reducing the filing turnarounds.
There are many more benefits to e-filing your HVUT 2290 return. The IRS has made it mandatory to e-file your 2290 if you are filing for more than 25 vehicles. And for good reasons too. e-Filing has made life easier for truckers who spend long hours on the road meeting America’s needs without fail.